TWO former Anglican ministers and a former Salvation Army officer are among nine people arrested over several days for child sex offences by a South Australian police taskforce.
Those arrested also include a former junior surf lifesaving coach and two former leaders of the Church of England Boys Society.
The first of the nine arrests was made on Thursday by the South Australian Police pedophile taskforce as part of their investigations into child sex abuse claims within the Anglican Church in Adelaide.
More arrests were expected to be made of people who were once tied to other community and service organisations, Detective Superintendent Grant Stevens said yesterday.
“There are other people that are the subject of ongoing investigations,” Superintendent Stevens said.
“There is still quite a long way to go, this is only the first stage in the process. It’s anticipated that the investigation will result in further arrests.”
Police made two of the nine arrests in Adelaide yesterday, with the other seven made since Thursday, Superintendent Stevens said.
The men arrested with direct ties to the Anglican Church included a 58-year-old former minister who allegedly indecently assaulted four teenagers between 1973 and 2000.
Another former Anglican minister, aged 59 and now living in Queensland, was being extradited to SA yesterday to face four indecent assault charges and one count of buggery.
The offences allegedly involved a 12-year-old child and occurred between 1970 and 1975.
The police pedophile taskforce was established in June last year after two Anglican clergymen went public with claims of up to 200 child sex abuses cases within the Adelaide diocese.
The controversy triggered the resignation of Archbishop Ian George 10 days ago in the wake of an independent report into the church’s handling of the allegations.
An apology to all victims was read at all Anglican parishes in Adelaide yesterday.
The nine arrested will face Adelaide courts at later dates.