South Australia’s former international spinner Johan Botha has again had his bowling action called into question, cited and facing another suspension unless he can successfully pass a biomechanical analysis ordered by Cricket Australia.
The 31-year-old, who has a history of issues with his action, is in the meantime still eligible to play and bowl in the Ryobi Cup, with the Redbacks due to take on Tasmania at Bankstown Oval on Wednesday. He has 14 days to have the analysis conducted on his action.
”Under CA’s Doubtful Bowling Action Procedure, a bowler must undergo testing after a single mention for a suspected illegal bowling action in an interstate season,” Cricket Australia said. ”For the 2013-14 season onwards this policy has changed to a single mention, rather than the previous requirement of three mentions.”
Botha was previously reported after his Test debut for South Africa against Australia in 2006 and then suspended by the ICC before having his action tested and found to be illegal a second time that year.
After returning he was then banned from bowling the doosra in 2009 after an ODI against Australia.
He was cited on Monday following a Ryobi Cup game against Victoria at Bankstown last Friday.
”That [the doosra] might have been one of his problem deliveries in the past,” said Victoria’s Cameron White. ”But, to be honest, he didn’t bowl the doosra to me as such the other day while I was batting.”
South Australia’s director of cricket, Jamie Cox, said the Redbacks were behind Botha. ”We acknowledge that there is a process to be undertaken and the SACA will support Johan and work with him though this process,” Cox said.
The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Hangzhou Night Net.